What motivates you at work?
This week , the spirit of the corporate soul looking to learning and research has taken a backseat. I’ve lately been feeling the need for that extra shot of energy at work.
I often imagine a web portal where , one can transact energy bites for bitcoins perhaps. But living in the real corporate world, comes with its own share of stress, anxiety and questions .
We often question the purpose of our work, the need to work long hours . The need to even work at times and why not lay in the soaking the sun and staring at oblivion .
But there is always that something. That something that keeps the wheel going. That keeps the fire of doing well alive at all times. Perhaps, its vision of a euphoria on completion of a priority task.
So what keeps you motivated at work . For me here is what keeps me going
- Learning : Any work that extends my senses to research and learn new things. That allows me to expand my knowledge and gives me the time to grow intellectually .
- Culture : It’s over those coffee breaks, few minutes before the zoom call, and offline chats between colleagues and much more. It’s the culture of healthy competition , but also to grow together. It’s the feeling of ease and yet the feeling of being a part of the larger cause.
- Purpose: Finding meaning in what we do and seeing the impact that our work has on the outcome is what contributes to beating the monday blues.
- Flexibility: Looking out of the window on a rainy day, in the middle of the town far from home. Feeling frustrated, when I could reach home. Thats what flexibility means to me, to decide to work from home certain days to avoid the wasted hours travelling to work. To get to spend those additional hours with with loved ones. So when i feel the blues at work, I know I can take a break for a few hours decide to shut the device disconnect , spend time on things I love . And get back better to doing my job.
- It pays my bills: Its the honest, one out of the lot. I love the fact I am independant. I get to pay my bills myself ,lead a comfortable life. Gives me the security and lets me pursue my other hobbies at ease. Its the one that pays my bills and thats what keeps me going.
So what is it for you that keeps you motivated at work?